Monday, May 23, 2011

Book Review

Towards the Gleam by T. M. Doran

I was interested in this book because it represents a modern attempt to publish Christian literature in a similar vein to the literary giants of the Catholic literary revival in England. In fact so influenced is Mr Doran by the likes of Chesterton, Tolkien and Lewis that he has actually incorporated them into his novel as characters. Though I don't know the background of Mr Doran I would assume that he is a "traditional" Roman Catholic from his treatment of philosophical notions in his novel.

The weaknesses of the novel were mainly in its prose which, whilst more than adequate, suffers, naturally enough, from comparisons with the famous literary giants who are the characters. The novel also suffers, in my opinion, from far too much inner dialogue and reflection on the part of the main character and too little dialogue and engagement with other characters. The central villain in the story was also, I found, a little one dimensional and hardly intimidating.

I am undecided how I feel about the plot. It was highly improbable and relying far too much on happenstance. It also failed to generate the required tension, for most of the novel I was more concerned for the marriage of the protagonist than for his life. The resolution was obvious well before it occurred and felt ridiculous afterward. Despite this if the plot is to be taken more allegorically or as demonstrating the presence of grace in the world then it makes far more sense. And while it would have been nice to have felt concern for the physical wellbeing of the protagonist, concern for his spiritual state and his marriage make more sense.

What Mr Doran did manage really well, I believe, was the presentation of the various literary giants which crop up throughout his story. I especially enjoyed the scene of G. K. Chesterton in an English pub. That said, I am a little annoyed at the presentation of Tolkien whose character in my opinion Mr Doran was a little liberal with. The treatment of philosophy and ideas in the novel was also engaging and, for the most part, deftly handled.

It is the spirit in which, I believe, the novel was published to which I am most attracted. It represents to me an attempt for Catholics to once again have a say in the culture; an attempt to present an attractive alternative through a cultural median. Bring on another Catholic literary revival, another Belloc, another Chesterton and another Tolkien (to name a few)!

I would warn readers, however, that unless they are somewhat familiar and sympathetic towards the lives and writings of at least Chesterton, Lewis and Tolkien most of the enjoyment of the novel will probably be lost.

In Summery;
Though this book is unlikely to be a classic the story was an enjoyable, light read; one which leaves you pondering over the issues raised throughout the novel. Would definitely like to see more. 3 and 1/2 stars

To see more of "Towards the LinkGleam" check out this webpage or Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment